Important Notice - as of Ivo v3.9 this manual update process has been replace with a new 'check for update' function. This article is left here for the information it contains about how Ivo is structured, however this is no longer particularly necessary to understand as the new 'check for update' function removes the need to know this information.
Follow these steps to update Ivo in your organisation (you should familiarise yourself with the entire process, and the notes, before starting) -
- Create a backup copy of the "<Ivo Data Location>\LIVE\Ivo_Data.ivo" file.
- Ensure Ivo is closed on all computers in your organisation. To ensure Ivo is not in use, check for the existence of the file "<Ivo Data Location>\LIVE\Ivo_Data.ldb". It that file is present, you can try deleting it, but if it won't delete, it means Ivo is still in use on a computer somewhere in your organisation (or it could be a 'disconnected' remote access session). NOTE: Make sure you do NOT attempt to delete the "Ivo_Data.ivo" file as this is your main Ivo data file!
- Download the latest Ivo update (which is found at the bottom of this article) and save it to the "<Ivo Data Location>\LIVE\1024\Updates" folder
- Run Ivo on the computer you are using. The update will be found and you will be prompted to install it. Your Ivo data file will also be updated with any required modifications.
- If your organisation uses a Terminal/Remote Desktop Server you should update it now by logging-on to it using an administrator account and running Ivo. If you do not do this now, it is probable that staff will not be able to use Ivo because their Windows login accounts most likely will not have sufficient security privileges to install software.
- For all other computers, the next time a staff member starts the Ivo program, the update will be installed automatically. The user just needs to follow the installation prompts. Once the Ivo login screen appears, the update is installed (this is easy to confirm because the Ivo version is displayed in the title bar of both the login screen and the main Ivo screen). If the update fails on a particular computer, it is usually because that staff member does not have sufficient security privileges to install software. Try logging onto that computer with a network administration account and running Ivo.
If you have any problems during this process, please create a new support ticket.
- "<Ivo Data Location>" is the address, unique to your organisation, where your Ivo data file is stored. This is usually on your server, or if you don't have a server, the "main" computer. If you do not know the location, you may submit a support request with us as 1024 maintains a record of how Ivo is configured in your organisation.
- Depending on how your organisation has been configured, the "\LIVE" portion of the above address may not be present and therefore should be omitted. In which case the address would be "<Ivo Data Location>\1024\Updates"
- If your organisation has particular security requirements, then administrator privileges may be required in order for the update to install correctly. In this case, you will need to logon to the computer using an administrator account and then just run the Ivo program.